Update April 23, 2015: The tour is sold out. We have nine participants including one husband and wife. We welcome men so long as they are accompanied by a woman. If you want to be part of our next tour, as well as read a report on this tour afterwards, sign up for the WRN Newsletter so youre the first to know when those articles post.
Update February 9, 2014: Two motorcycle industry VIPs are joining us: Tricia Szulewski, one of the few females on staff of a major motorcycle magazine (Motorcycle magazine) and part-time contributor to Women Riders Now. She is documenting the tour for an article in Motorcycle. And Michele Carter, CEO of Adventuress Skin Care, is coming along. Michele is leading the outdoor industry with a a line of skin care developed specifically for outdoor women.
For the last few years I’ve had several national and international tour operators approach me about collaborating on a women’s motorcycle tour knowing I have access through WomenRidersNow.com to thousands of female riders and passengers. The time never felt right until now!
WRN is partnering with Hear the Road Motorcycle Tours Italy for our inaugural “Ladies First” Magical Italy Tour taking place May 22–30, 2015. “Ladies First” means men are invited as long as they are accompanied by a woman. Click here for an overview.Continue reading for my personal thoughts on the tour.
How this tour is different and why you’ll want to attend:
There’s a reason that national and international motorcycle tours for women is an undeveloped market. I believe no one has been able to design a schedule and riding routes to meet the needs of women and their female friends and/or male spouse/partners. Most organized motorcycle tours are developed by men for men. Additionally, many women riders and passengers find the thought of touring overseas intimidating for a variety of reasons.
With input from the owner of Hear the Road Motorcycle Tours Italy, Enrico Grassi—who knows Italy like the back of his hand— along with Blue Strada Tours operators, Bill and Debbie Kniegge (a U.S. based company), we’ve designed an itinerary that blends riding, relaxing and rejuvenating, all while alleviating the factors that can be intimidating.
A downloadable itinerary is available at the end, but in a nutshell, here’s how the tour is designed to meet your needs:
• Two days upon arrival in Italy before starting the tour to adjust our bodies for jet lag, grab snacks for the road, repack our bags, and get to know our new motorcycle in a controlled environment.
• Easy ride days. Of the five riding days, the longest mileage day is 140 miles. The other four are no more than 100 miles. This leaves lots of time for breaks, sightseeing and photo opps along the way.
• The ride pace will be leisurely. If speed is what you want this tour is not for you.
• We will be riding in a group with a tour leader and a sweep rider and will go over the rules of group riding for those new to it. If group riding is not your thing, this tour might not be for you.
• Four nights of the nine-day tour are spent in the same hotel, in Siena, with a rest day and loop day-rides from that hotel. This allows us to settle into one hotel and enjoy its amenities, instead of having to unpack and repack each day in less than 24 hours time. There will be options to pre-schedule a massage on our rest day in Siena.
• A support vehicle will carry our luggage so we can travel light on our motorcycles. If we want to extend our stay, well also have the opportunity to leave extra luggage at the hotel in Rome, our start and end point.
• Siena, the four-night hotel location, is home to one of Italy’s finest shopping districts.
• All the roads we’ll travel are paved and are categorized as easy, meaning a minimum of hairpin turns or crazy off-camber twisties. The roads were chosen to meet the needs of first-time overseas tour travelers who will be overwhelmed enough by the new environment.
• This “Magical Italy” itinerary was designed to showcase a lot of variety of Italy in a short amount of time. Well get a good taste of all that this historical and beautiful country has to offer.
• Since the majority of women in the U.S. ride a Harley-Davidson, Harleys will be available in addition to BMW and Moto Guzzi.
• Since most North Americans are not used to European traffic patterns, weve planned it so were leaving Rome early on a Sunday morning when streets are relatively quiet.
FAQs Off the Top of My Head:
• Solo female riders are encouraged to attend. I will make sure you don’t feel alone. If you want to share a room we can try and hook you up with another solo rider to cut down on costs.
• Female co-riders (those who ride on the back) are encouraged to attend with their male co-rider piloting the bike.
• Italians drive on the same side of the road as we do in North America.
• My colleague Tricia Szulewski is joining me on this tour. We are both documenting this tour for magazine stories, and for marketing of possible future tours with Hear the Road. So, if you want, you can be part of our stories.
• This is the first time Enrico and I are offering this tour. We will be giving a lot of attention to detail and customer service as that is a priority for both of us. That said, we will continue seeking your feedback to help us improve the tour for future offerings.
• Weather in Rome, our arrival and departure city, in late May averages a high of mid-70s to a low of mid 50s.
• Price: approximately $4,500 USD plus airfare for a solo rider. Less expensive for couples riding two-up.This is a great price for all that you are getting. This is an upscale tour, which promises to be one of those trips of a lifetime.
Group size is limited, so best to reserve your space early and to get your choice of motorcycles. You can do so by visiting the link on Hear the Roads website, filling out the booking form, and making a deposit.
23 thoughts on Join Genevieve on a Motorcycle Tour of Italy in 2015!
I wish I would have seen this earlier as I would have gone! OMG! First off, I have been riding for about 40 years, the last two years on a Harley Sportster 1200, and I have always wanted to see Italy. What better way to see it than on a motorcycle. I wasn’t even aware that there were organized motorcycle tours like this. Please contact me for future tours. I’ll be there in a heartbeat!
Tracie,Be sure to subscribe to the WRN Newsletter here at this link so you are the first to know when we organize another Women Riders Now motorcycle tour. That’s really the best way to stay informed on what we do.
WOW! What an adventure. I hope you all have a great time. I’ve been riding for years now everything from a H.D. to a Ninja. I have always read about these trips for men who want to tote their spouses on the back, but never about us women who take control of their own bikes. Never thought it would happen. I applaud you NOW for making this happen. I could never afford a trip like this, but always hoped someday it could happen for the ones who can. If there is reincarnation, I want to come back as one of you. Keep living the dream. Have a great time and make many memories because that is all we really own in our lifetime.
Thank you Genevieve and Enrico. I will definitely go take a look at the Guzzi and BMW. I’m very excited. Will keep you posted. Thank you!!
Sounds like a dream of a lifetime. I would love to join you ladies and gentlemen. My main concern is I’m three years new to riding. I’ve been riding a V Star 250. I’m a bit concerned with riding a HD, even though I will be looking into upgrading to one this year. (But not if I do this trip.) Fear of the unknown, but “Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today” right? Will be thinking long and hard on this one!
Angie,Our tour operator, Enrico, responded with this: “You might want to ride a Guzzi V7 or a BMW F 650 or F 700 GS on our tour. You should visit the nearest Guzzi dealer and ask for a test ride. The nearest Guzzi dealer is in Belleville, New Jersey, just 20 miles from Scotch Plains. The nearest BMW dealer is JMK BMW, only 5 miles far from Scotch Plains.”There you go! Keep us posted if you can make it.
I so want to join you this trip, but I will have to add this to my list for the future! I am excited to see photos and hear your story. Safe travels!
I am so jealous of all of you who will be going on this ride. My dream is to ride through the beautiful country of Italy. I’ve been there three times but never on a bike. Unfortunately, I have a three-week bike trip scheduled for the end of July. That will pretty much eat up my vacation time and funds. If you’re on the fence about this trip, get off, and do it! You won’t be disappointed.
Too bad we just finalized a two week trip to Italy, one of which is the same week as this tour! Civita di Bagno Reggio is magical. Siena is a favorite place to be. Maybe we can make the next one.
Trip of a life time and looks enticing. Always wanted to go to Italy, my family and friends are encouraging me to go. I’ll have to look into my finances, a bit more expense traveling from Oz.
I have corresponded with Enrico and deposit is being done Jan.10th. The more I read and re-read the itinerary, the more exciting this whole experience is becoming. Thanks and can’t wait
Hi Shellie,Thanks for signing up. Tricia and I so excited too. Thanks for joining us. We can’t wait to ride with you!
Had briefly looked into doing a scooter tour myself as I ride a DCT model. Bad year, financially, though. Will have think about doing it in a couple of years.
I’m thrilled that you guys have organized this trip. Not sure I can pay this much—I am retired and have been to Italy a couple years ago. It is very beautiful there and I know it will be a great trip. I’m now interested in trips to the western U.S.Thanks for putting this together. I feel encouraged now to ride alone on longer trips.
This is something I am going to add to my bucket list. I am a brand new rider and lack the experience to take this on right now. I certainly hope you do this again in the future! I am motivated to learn to ride well enough to take this trip someday.
Just chatted with Enrico! Says he has a bike for me and will be putting down my deposit Jan 5th. I can’t wait for this!
Yea! We’re excited you’re joining us. Can’t wait to meet you in It’ly!
Greetings from across the pond! This trip looks fantastic. I’ve just booked my place, which other of you lovely ladies have signed up? I look forward to some great riding with you!
Hi Kirsty,Thanks for signing up. We look forward to riding with you. In addition to me, the editor, our contributor, Tricia Szulewski, who also works for another motorcycle magazine, “Motorcycle,” will be joining us too!Let’s see who else we can entice to join us!
This certainly is a dream road trip combining a European vacation with our favorite pastime! Going to Italy has been at the top of my bucket list for a few years. I sure hope I can join you on this incredible adventure!
Hope you can join us too Phyllis!